Situated at the foot of Wulaofeng and facing the blue sea, South Putuo Temple is deemed to be a must-go tourist places near to Xiamen University. Founded in the Tang dynasty, the Temple has a long history and embodies the Southern Fujian (Minnan) culture and, therefore, it is known as A Millennium Ancient Monastery. The temple was first founded by Ven. Master Qing Hao during the Five Dynasties (A.D. 907-960) and was known as the Sizhou Temple. Later, it was reconstructed and renamed as Wu Jin Rock by Ven. Master Wen Cui in the Song Dynasty (960-1279). Destroyed during the Yuan Dynasty in 1314, it was rebuilt by Ven. Master Jue Guang and renamed as Puzhao Temple in 1368. The temple was renovated during the reign of Ming Emperor Yongle (1403-1423), but then again was destroyed in warfare in 1628. During the reign of Qing Emperor Kangxi (1662-1722), General Shi Lang, the Marquis Jinghai, rebuilt it and named it South Putuo Temple. The main buildings of the temple are the Cāturmahārājika Hall, the Mahāvīra Hall, the Mahākaruṇā Hall and the Sūtra Depository which are built down the hillside and they create a majestic atmosphere.
Books and films on South Putuo Temple:
South Putuo Temple Annals. Published by South Putuo Temple, it includes eight chapters: History, Architecture, People, Training, Charity, Outreach, Scripture, and Literature, covering nearly every aspects of the temple since its beginning.
A Bright Moon. Released in 2005, this is a film about the life of the legendary monk, Hongyi Fashi (Li Shutong), and his connection with South Putuo Temple.
For More information